Kauai is the fourth-largest of the Hawaiian Islands, with a land area of 533 square miles. It is approximately 25 miles long and 33 miles wide at its widest point. The island is nearly circular in shape, but the Napali Coastline prohibits construction of roads from the north shore to the west side, so driving times from one end of the island to the other can take up to 2 hours and 50 minutes.
Kauai is also the oldest of the main Hawaiian Islands, dating back some 5.1 million years. It is a volcanic island, and its highest peaks are Kawaikini, at 5,243 feet, and Mount Wai’ale’ale, at 5,148 feet.
The island is known for its lush vegetation, its dramatic coastline, and its many waterfalls. It is a popular tourist destination, and is often referred to as the “Garden Island.”
Here are some other interesting facts about the size of Kauai:
- The island is home to over 50 beaches, including some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, such as Hanalei Bay and Poipu Beach.
- Kauai is also home to two national parks: Waimea Canyon National Park and Na Pali Coast State Park.
- The island is home to a variety of wildlife, including dolphins, whales, sea turtles, and monk seals.
If you are looking for a beautiful and relaxing vacation destination, Kauai is a great choice. The island is not as crowded as some of the other Hawaiian Islands, and it offers a variety of activities to enjoy, from hiking and swimming to golfing and shopping.
Here are some tips for getting around Kauai:
- If you are planning on doing a lot of exploring, you may want to rent a car. Renting a car would be the most efficient way around Kauai. Kauai does offer Uber and Taxis services.
- If you are planning on hiking in Waimea Canyon National Park, be sure to bring plenty of water and sunscreen. The park can be very hot and dry.
- If you are planning on visiting Na Pali Coast State Park, be sure to book your boat tour in advance. The park is only accessible by boat or helicopter.
Ready to embark on a remarkable adventure and experience the wonders of Kauai for yourself? Book your unforgettable journey with Makana Charters today see the stunning Na Pali coast.